Friday, August 14, 2009

Caution: You are about to look at a lot of pictures

We just (okay, not just)

revise

We recently, as in two weeks ago, got back from a glorious vacation in the state of Washington where this babe (Richard's sister Julia):



Married this hunk of a man (her now husband Sloan Rehder):



The wedding was wonderful; cupcakes and candy, archways and flowers, family and friends. But that is not what I got on the computer to share today.

The Olympic Peninsula is the most beautiful place on earth. I had a hunch I would like it there, and so convinced Richard that we needed to go early and look around. I'm glad we did, because we were able to play in the beach at Port Angeles, and don't let Sam fool you, that water was cold.



We drove through Forks on the way to the rain forest, but didn't see any vampires. (It was rather sunny out.) The Hoh Rain forest was the most vibrant place I have ever been. It was crowded with life, and absolutely beautiful. We walked through a mixture of old and new growth, where moss clung to trees and ferns covered the ground...



saw an immense spruce tree...



pause by the Hoh River...



and climb up some really big roots.



We went to Hurricane Ridge, and we were so far up we could see a (very far away) glacier in one direction and all the way to the Puget sound in another. The mountains are beautiful...



and Hannah reminded me of, well, me on the trail...



and saw plenty of deer, who were apparently very accustomed to having people around.



Lake Cresent, with its sparkling blue water...



was the most beautiful sight I have ever seen. I absolutely cannot adequately describe how perfect it was. Josh liked being held by Dad, but did NOT like the cold water...



Last we went to Rialto Beach, which was no Florida beach. It was misty, even at noon, and had huge driftwood logs, smooth rocks instead of sand, and haystack islands...



The waves were gargantuan (most were bigger than Richard. He had just gotten pummeled here) and loud and cold cold COLD...



But Sam had a blast.



When can we go back?!!!

10 comments:

Kim Mayfield said...

What an awesome trip... and fabulous pictures! I had better not let my oldest daughter see your post... she has been bugging me to make a trip to Forks for a while now!

Lisha said...

Oh man, that is just beautiful... makes me want to go! Thanks for sharing!

danakat said...

Gorgeous pictures! SO happy and relieved that the trip went better than "feared". Is the water really that clear and blue? Amazing.

danakat said...

FYI: the word verification on my last comment was "gumbi"...thought it was funny...just wanted to share. :)

Anonymous said...

Loved the pics! it really is such a pretty place! Glad y'all had such a great time there! Too bad you didn't get to see any vampires...better luck next time! :)

Angi said...

Oh man!! That is my home, where I grew up! Your pictures make me miss it so much. I miss you guys, too. Cute baby, by the way! :) Love ya.

Angi said...

Hey, I forgot to say...check the comments on your Harry Potter post. Steve does the same thing! :)

Amber Chappell said...

Did you see a bunch of crazy Twilighter's out in the woods searching for Edward or anything like that?

Kayleen said...

OHHH fun! I've always wanted to visit that neck of the woods. Your pictures are fab!

JNew said...

that looks like an amazing trip!