Monday, August 18, 2008

Nantahala Falls



We went to Nantahala Falls last weekend with the whole family, and then some. Richard's parents, my parents, julia, Laura, Jason, and Avery, Michelle, and Hannah and Sam. We all had a great time- The first day most of us went kayaking while Sweetie and Zannah stayed behind with the little kids. We all came back claiming to be soooo tired but I think that the grandma's had the hard job! The Nantahala is a good river to ride even if you don't know anything about kayaking, and it has a pretty exciting class 3 rapid at the end. Everyone else made it through fine- but I went sideways halfway through and flipped! That was the best part!
The next day we went tubing on a milder river and took Hannah with us. Let me tell you, this girl is a little thrill seeker. There was enough white water to flip most of the adults that went down, and this girl was totally game to float the "waterfall" twice! She was so excited the second time that she danced up the trail. Of course, she could dance only because dad was carrying her tube for her!
The last day we hiked up Clingman's dome before saying goodbye to Laura, Jason and Avery. Supposedly there is a spectacular view from on top this highest of peaks, but only on clear days. Most days, like ours, are cloudy, and since we were high enough to be inside the cloud...visibility was not so great. But the hike was fun!

A big thanks to Chief for making this trip happen! He's the best!

7 comments:

Kayleen said...

I'm so glad you're up and running again! I missed you!

Anonymous said...

I love the pics, but nothing can show how great of a time we had I think.
love,
Mimi

JNew said...

Hi Sarah! It's Jennifer Page Newton - remember me? I was reading Eliza Friskillo's blog, which led me to the Wheatley's blog, which led me to yours. I love all the pictures, your kids are adorable!

jewly said...

How fun! Kayaking is great. I went for the first time earlier this Summer. I am glad you got to spend time with your family.

chief said...

Since you liked the COLD water so much we'll have to try to get you in it sooner next time. Don't turn your back on me or you may feel the wrath of the PINK frisbee. Glad you guys were able to join in our trip. It truly turned out to be a great time for us.

Dave, Catherine, Chandler, and Callie said...

Welcome back!!! We've missed you. Looks like the trip was a blast!

Dawn said...

I miss you!! You coming to book club this month?? See you in the blog world!! Dawn