Monday, October 6, 2008

Crime and Punishment

Legend goes that:

Yon yonder in the early years
The youthful, innocent, blithe, cheery, carefree,
Silly, happy, untroubled, slightly reckless
And foolish Timothy
Took the pen of power,
The instrument of doom,
The permanent black marker
And inscribed his indecipherable runes
All upon the white porcelain throne
In the Nickel home.

And the Father, in the throes of a just rage,
Condemned the thoughtless child
To a punishment suitable to his age
"Here you shall sit and scrub,
And scrub and scrub and scrub and scrub,
Until all the ink is off this tub.
Er, I mean toilet."

And so now Timothy still sits,
Wiping the years away,
Never to go and play,
Because permanent marker is, unmercifully,
Permanent.


So you can understand that when I saw that Sam had scribbled all over the wall with (thankfully) pencil, there was no doubt as to what to do.

He scrubbed, that boy did.



(Once my brother Tim wrote all over the potty in black permanent marker. Dad made him clean it for, well, what seemed at the time to be forever, until he learned his lesson. Then we got another lid.)

11 comments:

Melissa Hodgen said...

Sounds similar to what Shannon did to my parents doors at their new house, but with a purple sharpie. Good thing we lovem'

danakat said...

Look at that pitiful little thing. You mean mommy.
Did you at least give him a Magic Eraser?

:)
Sorry about the wall.
It wasn't in the new house, was it?

You guys need to come play this week.

JNew said...

wow, i'm impressed by the poem - that was great!

Melissa Stubbs said...

Don't you love all the wonderful, promising art work that ends up on your walls!?! I know we have had our fair share of it! It looks like y'all have had some great stuff going on. I sure hope you can get everything done in time to give out candy! That's always a fun part of Halloween.

PS-I love the red too!

Lisa said...

oh, the joys of kids....:}

Kayleen said...

I've made Paige scrub time and time again. Your poem is marvelous!

Julia said...

stop cramping his creative style. the child will only remember this as yet another obstacle in his journey toward expression!

Christine said...

Maybe he will get it all out before the new house!

erin said...

Keep on scrubbing Sam, I still see a little more!!! Thank heavens it was just pencil!!

Dawn said...

My girls did this on our brand new dining room table with black sharpie marker. I have to admit, I cried!! YOU are beautiful too Sarah! Have a great day!! Dawn

Wendyrful said...

Sarah, I just found your blog. I love it!!!This was great! We have a few marker spots on a few walls here and there (all lately... we've been pretty lucky the girls hardly wrote on things like furniture and walls...)