Tuesday, January 8, 2008

It's quiet...too quiet


Today I made the fatal parenting error of assuming the best while my kids played quietly. "Such wonderful kids I have," thought I, snuggled deep in my blanket, "playing together so sweetly, so innocently, that I am given a moment to enjoy the morning's solitude. Listen. They're pretending like it's snowing. How nice."

Ah.

Well, they were playing together sweetly, but not innocently. It turns out they were playing with one of Hannah's Christmas gifts- a porcelain nativity set carefully packaged in styrofoam. And it was snowing that Christmas day, long ago:

There is styrofoam everywhere. EVERYWHERE. Hannah later explained "but mom, we just love making a mess!"




2 comments:

Melissa Hodgen said...

Shannon created a similar scene with packing peanuts from a Christmas present. Sure, she promised to help clean them up when she was done, but in the end she decided it wasn't as much fun as making the mess.

Micaela said...

Just today I thought, "I love that Jayden is old enough for me to leave her while I take a long winter's nap." She did well, and then I realized it was only a matter of minutes before she would be into something again. :)